Sunday, February 24, 2013

Where'd You Go, Bernadette?

Where'd You Go, Bernadette: A NovelThis is a laugh-out-loud book!  I can't remember the last book that made me laugh as much as this.  Bernadette Fox, an architect turned recluse, is mother to 15 year old Bee and wife of Elgin, Microsoft rock star.  Bee cashes in on a promise that her parents made to her - good grades in exchange for a trip to Antarctica.  Bernadette, being the recluse that she is, tries her best to embrace the upcoming trip for her daughter, but what ensues is pure hilarity.  

The story is strung together beautifully between e-mails, letters, school announcements, emergency room bills, and FBI reports.  It didn't take me long to embrace this format and I found myself looking forward to the next bit of correspondence shared.  All of us Booktini gals loved the format and discussed how it really worked and that there's actually a reason why the story is written in this format and it's revealed at the end.

The book is written by Maria Semple who has written for TV shows such as Beverly Hills 90210, Mad About You, Arrested Development and more.  She also wrote another novel called This One Is Mine, which also received good reviews.  I am putting that one on my "To Read" List.



No comments:

Post a Comment